Assuming that

The ABC’s of ZTE are now common coffee-shop conversation. But the ZTE contract is not the only multibillion-peso government initiative under the media spotlight. Last Monday, Education Secretary Jesli Lapus defended the P26.4-billion Cyber Education Project (CEP) of the Department of Education.

Using satellites, the CEP will beam educational services to 90 percent of public elementary and secondary schools throughout the country or 37,794 schools, linking them to a nationwide network. The satellite network will provide 12 video channels, wireless wide area networking, local area networking and wireless Internet connection. It will be financed through a P22.77-billion loan from China, amounting to 86 percent of the project. The remaining P3.71 billion, or 14 percent, will be financed by the Philippine government.
Read more…

Sep 23, 2007 under General | no comment

Blood brothers

A boy died last Monday.

His name was Cris Anthony Mendez. His friends from the National College of Public Administration and Governance (NCPAG) called him CA, and his pictures show a boy who made faces at the camera while surrounded by friends. This year was his last in the University of the Philippines Diliman, the year he sat in the student council. He was the eldest of his family, and his mother in Tiaong, Quezon believed he would pull them out of poverty. He was 20 years old.
Read more…

Sep 1, 2007 under General | 1 comment